It’s been a while and it feels unfamiliar to be updating this blog – like we’re strangers once again. But underneath this unfamiliarity (and uncertainty), something nostalgic remains. And that is what will get me writing, and baking, again.
The recipe is sharing today is one of my go-to recipes whenever I feel like I’m in need of some comforting. It’s rustic and homely, and incredibly simple and fuss-free to bake.
- Finely shredded Granny Smith apples 100g
- Unsalted butter 112g
- All purpose flour 95g
- Baking powder ½ tsp
- Baking soda ½ tsp
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
- Castor sugar 100g
- Vanilla extract ½ tbsp
- Eggs 65g
- Raisins 15g (And some water/juice/rum to plump the raisins up)
- Chopped toasted walnuts 15g
Cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese 250g
- Unsalted butter 100g
- Icing sugar 50g
- Vanilla bean paste 1 tbsp
- Maple syrup 1 tbsp
Makes 12 cupcakes
Preheat oven to 170°
All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir it constantly with a whisk. The butter should bubble and turn slightly brown. Remove from heat. Strain over a strainer to remove the white foamy fat bits and set aside.
- Soak raisins in either water, juice or rum.
- Finely shred Granny Smith apples.
- In a large bowl, sieve the dry ingredients together (baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon).
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and the castor sugar. Add the melted butter to the egg-sugar mixture and whisk. Add the vanilla extract and whisk till combined
- Add the dry ingredients mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Make sure to use a spatula so that the flour is evenly folded into the mixture. Mix till no traces of flour can be seen.
- Fold the shredded apples, raisins and toasted walnuts into the batter.
- Divide evenly into cupcake liners and bake for 15 to 20 minutes till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk together all the ingredients for the cream cheese frosting till it’s smooth and pale.
- Make sure your cupcakes are cooled before frosting them. I frosted mine using a Wilton 1M tip which you can get from any Phoon Huat stores.
This is the perfect recipe if you want to whip something up real quick. Super simple. Super straightforward. And incredibly tasty – even without the frosting.
Lots of love,